Omosu Seminary ［重須談所］ ( Omosu-dansho): A seminary that Nikkō, Nichiren’s successor, established in Omosu Village of Fuji District, Suruga Province, Japan, 1298. He lived and lectured there to his disciples and supervised their training. Nikkō appointed his disciple Nitchō as the first chief instructor of Omosu Seminary. After Nitchō’s death, Nikkō appointed Nichijun, a disciple of Nitchō, as the second chief instructor of the seminary.
The training at Omosu emphasized an intensive study of Nichiren’s teachings, distinguishing between the correct interpretation of Nichiren’s teachings and the incorrect interpretations set forth by five of the six senior priests designated by Nichiren other than Nikkō. There the disciples trained for public debate aimed at the propagation of Nichiren’s teachings. Many new disciples were attracted to the seminary, which they called “the temple at Omosu,” and the priests of nearby Taiseki-ji also attended in order to learn from Nikkō.
In 1483 the seminary severed its ties with Taiseki-ji and became affiliated with Koizumi Kuon-ji temple, the origin of which was the dwelling inhabited by Nichigō during his dispute over the possession of part of Taiseki-ji with its fourth chief priest, Nichidō. In 1515 it was renamed Hommon-ji and returned to the Nikkō school (based at Taiseki-ji). In 1899 it was renamed Kitayama Hommon-ji and the school connected with it became the Hommon (Essential Teaching) school. In 1941 it merged into the Minobu school in response to a government order.