Kenchō-ji ［建長寺］: The head temple of the Kenchō-ji branch of the Rinzai school of Zen, located in Kamakura in Japan, regarded as the first in rank among the Five Temples of Kamakura. In 1249 Hōjō Tokiyori, the fifth regent of the Kamakura shogunate, sponsored its construction. Upon its completion in 1253, Tokiyori invited Dōryū (Chin Tao-lung), a priest from China, to be its first chief priest. Mugaku Sogen (Wu-hsüeh Tsu-yüan), another priest from China, also resided there. See also Five Temples.