Saimyō-ji ［最明寺］: A temple of the Rinzai school of Zen, located within the precincts of Kenchō-ji temple in Kamakura, Japan. It was built by Hōjō Tokiyori (1227–1263), the fifth regent of the Kamakura shogunate, in 1256. Hōjō Tokiyori invited Dōryū to become the chief priest. That year, he retired from office and took up residence at Saimyō-ji temple. Tokiyori was thus known as the lay priest of Saimyō-ji. From there, though officially retired, he continued to exercise political authority. He invited Zen priests to the temple to listen to them preach, and remained at Saimyō-ji until his death. The temple declined for a time, but was restored by Hōjō Tokimune (1251–1284), Tokiyori’s son and the eighth regent of the Kamakura shogunate, and was renamed Zenkō-ji temple. The temple no longer exists.