Seichō-ji ［清澄寺］: Also known as Kiyosumi-dera, an alternative pronunciation of the Chinese characters that form the name. A head temple of the Nichiren school based at Minobu since 1949. Located on Mount Kiyosumi in Kominato of Awa Province, in what is today Chiba Prefecture, Japan, the temple was founded in 771 by a priest named Fushigi who enshrined there an image of Bodhisattva Space Treasury he carved from an oak tree. In the next century, Jikaku, the third chief priest of the Tendai school’s Enryaku-ji temple, paid a visit there, after which it gained prestige in the area. In 1233 Nichiren entered Seichō-ji and studied Buddhism there under Dōzen-bō, a senior priest at the temple. There he chanted Nam-myoho-renge-kyo for the first time and proclaimed his teaching on the twenty-eighth day of the fourth month, 1253.